2016. Tough year but we are tougher people. It’s all about how you look at it-focus on the positive happy things that this year brought. It was a full calendar year of living in Europe with a nice 6 week vacation in Chicago for summer break. Looking back, I had an amazing year.
Everyone always asks about my favorite place that I’ve visited. I couldn’t possibly pick a favorite but I have some favorite experiences from the past year around the world.
In numbers, I visited 5 new countries, 23 new cities. I took 16 plane rides and countless train and bus trips. Each year I am happier than the last-life is good.
Here are my top 10 experiences from 2016.
- Sister trip in London. Sarah was studying abroad and I crashed with her at her fancy hotel for a weekend. I also stole the sample shampoo they provided. They don’t give that stuff out at hostels.
- Girls weekend in Paris. I only knew one of the girls going into the trip and we all left as best friends. I also don’t think I’ve ever laughed so much in a 3 day weekend. By Sunday I didn’t even bother putting mascara on because my laughter and tears would have washed it away.
- Opera in Vienna, Austria. I just felt so elegant and fancy. Next time, I’ll prepare and bring a gala dress.
- Thermal Baths in Budapest Hungary. It’s great seeing things, but this was such a cool activity to do. Also, the massage was heavenly.
- Fairytale Munich, Germany. I felt like I was walking through the pages of a Hans Christian Anderson princess story. Unfortunately there was no prince at the end for me.
- Sound of Music Tour in Salzburg, Austria. This was one of my favorite things. (I hope you sang that last sentence)
- Christmas Markets in Berlin and Cologne, Germany. Christmas magic is real and you find it in Germany. Your heart is just instantly warmed up, but that could just be the glüwine.
- Holy Week with my parents. I was so happy to help my parents eat and drink their way through Spain. It also wouldn’t have been complete with an overwhelming amount of food at Mama Ana’s house.
- Spanish Wedding-not mine of course! I had so much fun dancing the night away with all my teacher friends! Something I will remember for the rest of my life.
- Christmas Teacher Dinner. This was the perfect way to end the year with all of my teacher friends. Our dinner ended at 1:00am and we rolled on over to the bar to dance the rest of the night away. I love these people so much!